Saturday, August 16, 2008

Michael Phelps: Aquaman or Myth?

I remember when Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals in Munich in 1972.  I was in the 2nd grade and even then I loved the Olympics.  That was an amazing feat, juxtaposed by the murder of Israeli athletes at the hands of Palestinian terrorists.  Even at the age of 8 I realized that was an event that I would remember for life.  About 17 years ago, I was at a Vons in West Los Angeles and the man in front of me in line was Mark Spitz, who at the time was a dentist, I believe.  I didn't recognize him, he was graying, but after being told who he was, I felt I had just had my first "Brush With Greatness."  

What kind of dedication does one have to have to reach the pinnacle of performance in a sport?  I can't keep my mind focused in line at Costco!  

Anyway, what a tremendous accomplishment for Michael Phelps.  I give credit to his Mom.  I know it's hard to watch your child compete, but to see the type of pressure the media has piled on him this week, and to rise to the occasion shows his greatness.  And Mom was there for all of it.  She deserves a medal too.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Florence Griffith Joyner was my 'guest' once at Disneyland. I was marvelling at her fingernails not putting two-and-two together as I looked at her, until she handed me her credit card, then it dawned on me!

Michael Phelps is completely to blame for my lack of sleep the last week! ;) The still photos for the .01 race are everywhere. He rocks!